open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There's no such thing as writing about the future. The future hasn't happened yet." - Joe Haldeman
- (Added by: Emil)

Highest user rated list
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

kcirbuk
Posted 2024-06-30 5:39 AM (#30016)
Subject: Highest user rated list

New User

Is there or has there been a list of the highest user rated books of WWEnd?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2024-06-30 7:57 AM (#30017 - in reply to #30016)
Subject: RE: Highest user rated list

Admin

kcirbuk - 2024-06-30 5:39 AM Is there or has there been a list of the highest user rated books of WWEnd?

When you find that you've missed such an obviously great idea it's almost embarrassing -- but that is what we love about all the great member input. Ya'll keep giving us great ideas to make the site better!

A highest user rated list sounds interesting and we definitely have the data to make that happen. How about 3 new lists?

1. WWEnd Top Member Rated SF
  2. WWEnd Top Member Rated Fantasy
  3. WWEnd Top Member Rated Horror
They would be live lists where books can move up and down over time as more people join and tag their books. We'll have to run the numbers and come up with a minimum rating to keep the list length in control. We usually aim for a list of around 100 though we could go shorter. I'm not sure how many people would look at a list like this past the top 20 any way. Thoughts on list length? Anything else we should consider?

Thanks for the great idea, kcirbuk!
lisagarrity
Posted 2024-06-30 9:01 AM (#30018 - in reply to #30016)
Subject: Re: Highest user rated list

Veteran

Can you include the number of people rating as well? A 4.5 book rated by 3 users means something diffeent than a 4.5 book rated by 197 users.
Administrator
Posted 2024-06-30 10:07 AM (#30019 - in reply to #30018)
Subject: Re: Highest user rated list

Admin

lisagarrity - 2024-06-30 9:01 AM Can you include the number of people rating as well? A 4.5 book rated by 3 users means something different than a 4.5 book rated by 197 users.

Yeah, we'll have to come up with an algorithm that takes number of ratings into account. I said we'd need to come up with a minimum rating to keep the length under control but I should have said minimum number of ratings instead. Whargoul is a wizz at this sort of thing.

kcirbuk
Posted 2024-07-02 2:58 PM (#30024 - in reply to #30017)
Subject: RE: Highest user rated list

New User

Administrator - 2024-06-30 7:57 AM

kcirbuk - 2024-06-30 5:39 AM Is there or has there been a list of the highest user rated books of WWEnd?

When you find that you've missed such an obviously great idea it's almost embarrassing -- but that is what we love about all the great member input. Ya'll keep giving us great ideas to make the site better!

A highest user rated list sounds interesting and we definitely have the data to make that happen. How about 3 new lists?

1. WWEnd Top Member Rated SF
  2. WWEnd Top Member Rated Fantasy
  3. WWEnd Top Member Rated Horror
They would be live lists where books can move up and down over time as more people join and tag their books. We'll have to run the numbers and come up with a minimum rating to keep the list length in control. We usually aim for a list of around 100 though we could go shorter. I'm not sure how many people would look at a list like this past the top 20 any way. Thoughts on list length? Anything else we should consider?
?
Thanks for the great idea, kcirbuk!

Those three lists sound really nice! And great to hear that you like the idea!

I think it could still be interesting with a top 100 list, but it depends a bit on the spread of the ratings. If many books end up with the same rating it is not as interesting as if there are some books which are clearly ranked 1-20 for example.

And like lisagarrity mentioned, a cutoff of number of votes would be nice. Maybe 50 votes? 100? I guess if you have the rating data easily accessible you can create a nice cutoff from it!

Edited by kcirbuk 2024-07-02 3:01 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)