open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." - Kurt Vonnegut
- (Added by: Administrator)

Our reads in June 2024
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2024-05-31 1:43 PM (#29952)
Subject: Our reads in June 2024

Elite Veteran

Another month,another pile of books. Tell us what you are reading this month.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2024-05-31 1:46 PM (#29953 - in reply to #29952)
Subject: Re: Our reads in June 2024

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR in June
Blake Crouch - Dark Matter
Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
C M Kornbluth - The Little Black Bag
Robert A Heinlein - The Menace From Earth
plus some kindle unlimited fluff reads and a couple of crime novels. the days when I read 16 books a month minimum are long gone.....
daxxh
Posted 2024-05-31 7:20 PM (#29955 - in reply to #29953)

Extreme Veteran

June TBR

Dark Matter - Blake Crouch - good so far.
Quicksilver - Neal Stephenson - this will take a while.
You Like It Darker - Stephen King
Star Trek Picard - Firewall - David Mack
Mal Goes to War - Edward Ashton
Lake of Souls - Ann Leckie
Border Patrol Nation - Todd Miller
Wild New World - Dan Flores

Already started Dark Matter, Wild New World and Quicksilver. Dark Matter is pretty good so far. Wild New World is very interesting. Quicksilver is going to take a while. I read the first part about Daniel. That was very slow reading. I didn't dislike it, but it is one of those books that I will read slowly. I just started the next part which has different characters. This is a book for winter, not summer when reading time is less.

daxxh
Posted 2024-06-26 11:56 PM (#30001 - in reply to #29955)

Extreme Veteran

Submitted twice...

Edited by daxxh 2024-06-27 12:08 AM
daxxh
Posted 2024-06-26 11:56 PM (#30002 - in reply to #29955)

Extreme Veteran

What I have read so far this month -

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - ok. Too many iterations.

Quicksilver - Neal Stephenson - ok. I am not that well versed in European history. Some of it was very interesting. Some of it was a little boring. I will continue the trilogy as it picked up in the end. ( And I own the books.)

You Like It Darker by Stephen King. - Good. I have always liked Stephen King's short fiction. These weren't the best ones, but they are definitely worth reading.

Firewall by David Mack - meh. Seven of Nine was never my favorite character.

Mal Goes to War by Edward Ashton - Good. Mal is quirky AI. This was fun, despite being about a war in a dystopia with some not so nice human characters.

The Hive by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnston - or perhaps I should say George RR Martin II. Another book with a cliffhanger ending that will probably never be resolved. Oh well. At least there was Ender's Game, which takes place after this, so I can speculate what happened...

Currently reading Ann Leckie's Lake of Souls. First story was good.

Edited by daxxh 2024-06-27 12:05 AM
dustydigger
Posted 2024-06-28 1:31 PM (#30008 - in reply to #30002)

Elite Veteran

read very little in this genre this month,
After a pleasant reread of a Dick Francis racing thriller,I have been enjoying some classic vintage horror short stories like Thomas Burke The Hands of Mr Ottermole,Amelia B Edwards The Phantom Coach,but best of the lot was W H Hodgson's The Voice in the Night,about men on a becalmed fishing boat who are hailed from the darkness by a sad voice begging for food for his starving fiance ,slowly dying on a nearby island. No happy ending here . We hear the sad horrifying tale of how they were shipwrecked and encountered a horrific ship covered in a sinister fungus which insidiously will grow everywhere,and on anyone. Definitely tense,so sad and emotional. It was a very influential tale in its time. A true classic.
Finished Dark Matter
Oh dear, I was really underwhelmed with this. I dislike first person present narration,its supposed to add immediacy and excitement,but it irritates me,pulls me out of the story repeatedly.Its all very heavyhanded,Crouch feels he has to repeatedly hammer home his points.Short paragraphs make me check the author to make sure it wasnt co-authored by James Patterson Good ideas at the start,quite intriguing,but it all becomes a bit silly and incredible towards the end. Cop out frustrating ending too made for an irritating read all in all..
Had a lot more fun and enjoyment from Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Funny and gruesome and very imaginative.
And thats pretty much all this month.Didntbeven readuch kindle unlimited fluff.its been wall to wall soccer,European Championships.2 or 3 matches a day was great fun for Mr Dusty,for me not so much.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)